Ken's Blog Holy Land

Hi! After about 18 months of persuasion, Mark finally convinced me to take a trip to Israel/Palestine! This is our travelblog. Thanks for checking it out!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA, United States

Hello! You’re looking at the blog for the SFSU Bookstore. Here we will keep you up to date about what’s going on at your campus bookstore, including events, new book releases, and stuff we like. There may also be the occasional opinion piece, or some fun tidbit. Make sure you list us on your RSS reader so you can see updates as we publish new postings!

Thursday, July 27

It's been an incredibly hard decision to make, but we've decided to go after all.

It's been hard because of the horrible news. I've been reading the news very closely every day. Mark and I have been having very intense, honest talks about the situation. I've been having, shall we say, "passionate dialogue" with some of my friends about the situation, or whether it's ethical, or safe, to take a trip like this right now. And I've been feeling very isolated amongst the other folks on the tour, some of whom have very different feelings than I do about events.

Also, the World Pride March (and I say "march" not "parade") is cancelled. The police refused the permits after all, citing that they're already stretched under the current crisis, and who can blame them? They were estimating up to 500,000 Orthodox counter-demonstrators. Blech. Get this: there are rabbis saying that the reason Hezbollah is bombing Israel is because World Pride is being allowed in the Holy City and God is punishing the country. Oh, and flyers appeared offering a $4,500 bounty for the death or dismemberment of any World Pride participant. Nice, eh?

Also the Tel Aviv Beach Party was cancelled by the organizers, who felt (rightly, I think, but it's still disappointing) that having some kind of festival at this time would be unpopular and insensitive.

But at the end of the day, is that why we were going, for a party? Or was it to talk to as many people as we possibly can, of every faith and persuasion, and keeping that dialogue going? Is there a way to contribute to the peace process by being there? Who might we meet who will amaze and enlighten us, adding a dimension of understanding to current events?

And I want to see the ancient sites, Petra and the Church of the Holy sepulcher and Masada.

We've been hearing, by email, from people who are in Israel right now, and it seems calm (bomb-wise, anyway) in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. I don't know if we'll be able to go into the West Bank, to Bethlehem for example, which I would like very much. We were never planning to go anywhere close to Haifa or the Lebanese border, or the Gaza Strip either. We'll keep track of the news, as will the group leaders, as the political and tactical situation develops. So we're paying attention to safety.

(I am bringing my cell phone, so if there's an emergency people can check in with me.)

The current violence breaks my heart, it's a horror. It'll become harder, more immediate, when we're there. I've never been so close to a war zone, and it's scary. I haven't posted a new entry because I've been so paralyzed by fear and anger, and by indecision about whether cancel the trip. I'm still not sure this is the best decision, but it's more the more interesting choice.

0 Comments:

<< Home